What is jaundice.
It is the yellow colouration of sclera, skin, mucous membrane, urine & other body fluids due to the excess amount of bilirubin the body.
1. Hepatitis-acute & chronic hepatitis.
a. Viral hepatitis (A,B,C,D,E & G)
b. Non viral hepatitis
c. Drug induced hepatitis (Mostly Paracetamol, Anti-tuberculous drugs)
d. Alcoholic Hepatitis – excess alcohol intake.
2. Developmental defects of the liver & Biliary system (Biliary atresia).
3. Jaundice in newborn (Neonatal Jaundice).
4. Haemolytic jaundice – due to excess breakdown of red blood cells.
5. Obstructive jaundice – due to obstruction of the passage of bile from liver to intestine.
Some advise :
Arrange to make diagnosis and to treat the cause of your jaundice early. Don’t waste time.
Don’t rely on traditional healers and non medical treatment.
Remember: Jaundice is not a disease, it is a sign of a disease.
The cause of every jaundice is not the same.
Tumour and cancer of the liver, gallbladder bile duct, duodenum & pancreas may be the cause jaundice.